The Judicial Center
5 North Kent Street
Winchester, Virginia 22601
E-Mail: Winchester Circuit Court
E-Mail: Frederick Co Circuit Court
City Fax: (540) 667-6638
County Fax: (540) 545-8711
Marriage Info: (540) 667-8623
Mon - Fri 9:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M.
Concealed Handgun Permits
The City of Winchester and Frederick County residents may make application for a concealed handgun permit at the Circuit Court Clerk's office.
The issuance of this permit does not permit a firearm to be carried in any otherwise prohibited places.
For more detailed information on laws concerning handguns, visit the
Virginia State Police.
The following information is not intended to provide legal advice or restate the law. It is intended for informational purposes only.
To receive a permit to carry a concealed handgun in the Commonwealth of Virginia:
- Complete the application that can be found at the following url: Virginia State Police - Forms and Publications. Return completed application to the Office of the Clerk of Circuit Court with an application fee. City of Winchester residents will need to submit $50.00, whereas, Frederick County residents must submit $40.00. Payment may be made by cash, personal check, certified check or money order, and a receipt will be provided. Checks and money orders should be made out to "Clerk of Circuit Court."
- All applicants must present proof of competency to carry a firearm. Please refer to Virginia Code § 18.2-308(G) to determine the possible courses that are acceptable. Competency may be demonstrated by:
- Completing an approved hunter education or hunter safety course
- Completing an approved firearms safety or training course
- Having participated in approved organized shooting competitions or military service
- Having previously held a valid license to carry a handgun in Virginia
- Approved courses include those sanctioned by the
Virginia Department of Game and
Inland Fisheries, the National Rifle Association, law enforcement agencies, colleges, professional academies and any other courses approved by the court.
- The concealed weapons permit shall be issued within fourty-five (45) days of receipt of the completed application usless it is determined that the applicant is disqualified.
- The duration of the permit is for a period of five (5) years.